Further education

13th May 2005 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

I taught in primary schools for 18 years, but left five years ago to pursue other interests. I recently had six months off work with the beginnings of arthritis. I'd like to return to education, possibly working within adult education in some form. What are my chances?

These days you need experience before changing from primary teaching to helping adults learn. You may be able to offer work on basic skills courses, although helping adults who never mastered the basics in schools is not the same as working with children.

I don't know where you have been working for the past five years, but is there a need for trainers in that field?

However, you need to check with your doctor about the prognosis for your arthritis. Any employer is likely to view this with some concern and you can't hide it on your application.

You might want to contact your local further education college to see whether they have any suggestions about possible openings.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar, Buyagift.com, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today