Gove reveals where axe will fall
Education secretary Michael Gove further outlined this week where he will make #163;359 million in savings to contribute to the Government's deficit reduction plan.
The Coalition has pledged to slash more than #163;6 billion in this financial year in an attempt to cut the country's debt, #163;670 million of which will come from the Department for Education.
Mr Gove has already said he will reduce his department's area-based grant to local authorities by #163;311 million, but in education questions in the House of Commons on Monday he set out where the axe will fall to save the additional #163;359 million.
This includes the cash saved by scrapping ICT quango Becta and the winding down of the Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency at the end of last month.
Among the other cuts, Mr Gove plans to save #163;47 million from money left unallocated in the one-to-one tuition budget, #163;30 million will be chopped from the Training and Development Agency (TDA) for Schools and more than #163;21 million will be saved from ditching academic diplomas.
Mr Gove said of the cuts: "The #163;359 million is coming from a variety of budget areas that will enable us to avoid cutting frontline spending in our schools."
The Education Secretary was forced to spell out his department's savings plans by his opposite number Ed Balls.
On Sunday former schools secretary Mr Balls wrote to his counterpart accusing the Government of breaking its promises on reductions to frontline spending before the election and saying that the #163;6.2 billion total cuts would heap further pressure on local government spending.
Mr Balls said in his letter: "There are cuts that have to be made, and we will support them, as I did before the election in outlining cuts to a range of non-departmental bodies. However, we will not support cuts that undermine and put at risk our economic recovery or damage opportunities for children and young people."