Keeping exercise books neat
A tatty exercise book reflects badly on the pupil, the teacher and the school. And it's not conducive to classroom effort and improvement. Foster good exercise bookhabits like this:
* See books often and mark them diligently.
* Persuade the school to buy plastic exercise book covers.
* Reward owners of well kept boks.
* Pass particularly good examples to senior colleagues for higher level recognition.
* Invite other colleagues into your classes to take an interest in the work.
* Encourage parents to take an interest in exercise books, perhaps adding their own comments to homework.
Gerald Haigh Next week: pupils who won't do their homework