Heading for history

14th October 2005 at 01:00
I am a qualified teacher and hold QTS. My subject is English but at some point I would really like to get back to my first love - history. I did not do the subject at degree level and wonder if an Open University degree would be held in the same regard as a more traditional one. Would I need to do another PGCE after doing a history degree to be able to teach the subject if I already have a PGCE in English?

Although you trained in a particular subject for your PGCE, your QTS is not subject specific. You can both ask, and be asked, to teach other subjects.

Obviously, you will be able to do this to a higher level with a degree in the subject. I don't envisage any problem with a degree undertaken through part-time or distance learning compared with a full-time one. You won't receive any funding, so will have to pay full fees for any second degree.

There is no shortage of history teachers so talk to the head of history at your school about the possibility of some key stage 3 classes; but your department may be reluctant to let you make the switch.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email susan.young@tes.co.uk

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar, Buyagift.com, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today