16th March 2001 at 00:00
Sara Bubb offers advice to students and NQTs

I finish my maths degree with the Open University in December next year and would then like to follow the employment-based route into teaching. How do I go about this?

You could do the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) when you have the results of your degree, or the Registered Teacher Programme (RTP), which is for people like you who are doing their degree.

The GTP usually takes a year and the RTP takes two years. The advantage of the former is that your school can get a training salary for you of pound;13,000 and a training grant of up to pound;4,000. Places are limited but you would stand a good chance with a shortage subject such as maths.

You might gain qualified teacher status earlier by startig the RTP soon. You can get a training grant but not a training salary - the school would pay.

For both schemes you need to be at least 24 and have English and maths GCSE at grade c or above, a school to work in and someone to draw up a training plan after an audit of your needs.

It's up to you to find a school and it would be worth asking any school advertising for a maths teacher in your area to take you on. For more information go to or call the Teaching Information Line on 0845 6000 991.

Email your questions to Sara Bubb's new book, A Newly-Qualified Teacher's Manual: how to meet the induction standards, is published by David Fulton, pound;15. More of your questions answered at

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now