* Explain your objectives to parents and encourage them to share information about their children's home literacy learn- ing throughout the year
* Link home and school by invit- ing children to bring in drawings and writings done at home to show and display on a wall or notice board
* Make classroom writing activi- ties, formal and informal, open to the full range of children's writing strategies
* Create varied audiences for children's writing, including the rest of the class (writer's chair or circle), other classes, parents, and outside sources (for example, by writing away for information)
* Create, or at least simulate, authentic purposes (letters, cards, books, newspapers, menus, travel posters,messages, lists)
* Look at, talk about, and copy print in the environment. Take a walk around the school and neighbourhood to look at print.