TEACHERS in London and Doncaster this week received instructions from the NUT and NASUWT for their industrial action over teacher shortages. From Monday, they will refuse to:
* Teach amalgamated classes;
* Teach classes containing children moved from other classes;
* Carry out administration, registration and other duties redistributed among staff because o vacancies;
* Set or mark work for classes other than their own;
* Co-operate with the use of non-teaching staff to cover classes.
In addition, special needs support staff will also refuse to cover for absent teachers or unfilled vacancies.
Ballots are being conducted to extend the action to nine other local authority areas.