Did you know?
* Doctors in the 16th century recommended tobacco as a medicine for a variety of conditions, including cancer
* Some 70 per cent of smokers claim they want to kick the habit
* Nicotine is a toxin designed to protect the tobacco plant from insects
* The drug causes physical changes in the brain, growing millions of receptors and allowing others to wither
* Around half of smokers die from related diseases
* Smoking kills around 114,000 people a year in the UK - more than five times as many as die from accidents, poisoning, overdose, murder, manslaughter, suicide and HIV combined
* About 450 children in the UK start smoking every day, and more than 80 per cent of smokers start before they are 18