Skills developed during the project
* Working creatively with sound.
* Investigating ways of preserving what they have created.
* Movement: how we travel, turn, gesture, express moods and feelings.
* Proportion and scale: models and props.
The world around us
* Expressing opinions and ideas about people and places, particularly about Antarctica and at home in the past, present and future.
* Caring for a changing environment.
* Developing environmentally friendly sources of power.
Thinking about learning
* Talking about how they planned the work.
* Reviewing the process and outcome - how might they change the process next time?
* Considering ways to improve their work.
Exploring and investigating
* Generating ideas - brainstorming, planning and making connections.
* Geographyhistory - what has been the impact on the environment?
* Language and literacy - creating solutions and drawing conclusions to a problem; justifying opinions and proposals.
* Personal development - listening to different viewpoints.
* Creative, expressive and physical - responding to the work of artists, designers and animators.
What was gained * A sense of accomplishment; pleasure; play; childhood; excitement; confidence; self-esteem; new friendships.
* The ability to take risks without fear of failure. The children all understood it was part of a process to learn from and build on things that didn't work. They had been set an achievable challenge but not an easy one.
* The ability to express themselves confidently, individually and as part of a team, and to express their ideas visually.
* Apple eMac computer; iLife software; Canon MV500i camera; plasticine
* Story Shorts pound;24.99 (inc VAT)
BFI Education Resources
Tel: 0870 241 3764
* Film education resources:
* Animation courses South Street Studios, contact Oscar Stringer:
Tel: 01249 712951 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org_index.htm
* The Cookstown animation, together with a full presentation by Joanne Murray on the skills children developed during the project, can be viewed at www.cps.cookstown.ni.sch.ukMy_Homepage_FilesPage4.html