Tap out a rhythm and let each child repeatit in turn.
* Each pupil can invent their own rhythm for the others to copy.
* Play the rhythm of a well-known song and let the children guess which song it is.
* Divide into three groups, each representing a different animal with a different rhythm, such as a dog, a cat and a wolf. Now tell a story involving all three animals. As each animal is mentioned the corresponding group should bang the drum.
* Tell a story about a storm, using the drum to provide sounds representing the clouds, the wind, the thunder and lightning and hail.
* Let the children explore their hands by using different parts, such as fingertips and the heel of the hand to tap the drum.
* Play a familiar song and then encourage the children to tap out the rhythm.
* Play musical statues. When the music stops, the children must run to the drum and tap out a rhythm.