Let's go spark a blackout

11th July 2008 at 01:00
A good teacher can find a lesson in the worst experiences
A good teacher can find a lesson in the worst experiences.

Richard Lane, head of Manor Primary School in Drayton Bassett, Tamworth, arranged for his pupils to take some time out to learn about kite flying from an expert.

But one of the kites' strings broke, causing it to fly into a nearby power line and spark an electricity blackout.

"It was behind the tree and when he tugged the string it flew off into the power line," the head said. "I heard a bang - I'm sure it was the kite. I couldn't find it afterwards.

"All the alarms went off in the village. I can only apologise if it caused any inconvenience but I'm sure it was just a few seconds."

Mr Lane added that he hoped the experience had taught his pupils a valuable lesson in safety.

"It is important they don't play near to power lines," he said.

Err, yes.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now