London calling

26th March 2004 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

I am looking for a job as a French or German teacher in London, preferably in the south-west or west. Do you know which boroughs are particularly in need, and how I apply to them? And what is the current innerouter London weighting?

Between now and July, it is probable that many schools across London will be offering the type of post you are looking for. However, there has been a fall in adverts for modern languages teachers since January, so posts may be more difficult to find than in recent years. Apart from checking TES Jobs each week, contact the recruitment strategy managers in the boroughs where you are interested in working.

From April, separate pay scales for inner and outer London and "the fringe" will replace existing London weighting allowances. The rest of the country will be paid on a fourth national scale. Find details of scales on the TES website at

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today