New Labour, new sayings
* "I will insist that Scottish schools reflect (our multiracial society) by rooting out racism in all its forms and ensure schools are equally challenging for bilingual pupils."
* "We will not let early years education be left to chance."
* "I will investigate the means to develop and restore the wide range of extracurricular activities which formerly characterised school provision across Scotland."
* "I want to see more consistency in the setting of homework."
* "Lifelong learning has a key role to play in assuring the country's success in today's highly competitive global market-place."
* "The Government intends to encourage the development and growth of Gaelic-medium education. We will also encourage respect for the Scots language and its regional dialects."
* "Parents will receive an annual assessment of their children's progress to show how far they are reaching their potential."
* "I will consult with the business community on ways to broaden involvement in education to meet each other's needs."