Planning permission has been granted to develop a new entrance and site masterplan for Ryde School on the Isle of Wight, following an appeal. Consultancy Terence O'Rourke helped to reassure the planning inspectorate that the designs were sensitive to the school's historic setting.
- A stage show about life in a single-sex school has won critical acclaim for 18-year-old writer and director Anna Pool. The Colchester County High School for Girls sixth former hopes her debut success with CCHS: The Musical can help to achieve her dream of becoming creative director at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Schools Secretary Ed Balls celebrated the first anniversary of In Harmony, the Government's #163;330 million scheme to give children access to musical instruments and tuition, with a visit to Catton Grove Primary School in Norwich, one of the pilot projects.
- The Duke of Kent said he was "most impressed" by the #163;27 million Milton Keynes Academy as he declared it officially open. The new Leadenhall-based school has 1,500 places for 11 to 18-year-olds and specialises in business and enterprise.
- Sheffield Liberal Democrat councillor Andrew Sangar dined with kids at Tapton School as it helped launch the Really Good School Dinner campaign. Pupils were asked to donate an extra 10 pence as they bought lunch to pay for a school meal for a child in a developing country.
- This close shave for Finborough School pupil Ed Brown saw the 15-year-old red-head raise #163;300 for charity.