NQT buzz from the TES forums
- If you have been given the task of organising a winter concert there are suggestions for nativity plays as well as less traditional ideas (www.tes.co.ukchristmas ideas). A popular option from Amcgarva is a script based on the X(mas) Factor, though we can't confirm if it includes an appearance by Jedward alongside the Wise Men.
- The career path from Btec teacher to pub landlord might not be well-trodden, but downhearted Dovoro says he has "lost his spark" and is looking for advice before moving from front of class to behind the bar (www.tes.co.ukpublican). Jubilee advises against it in the current economic climate: "Is running a pub a good idea when so many are going out of business at the moment?" while Karvol says: "Spend a year working in one to see how things are run."
- Having little experience in teaching and being unable to secure opportunities to improve on this can be a difficult cycle to break free from. One NQT has had three unsuccessful job interviews and faces this problem (www.tes.co.ukexperience). Volunteering and supply teaching have been suggested, but some members such as Leapyearbaby64 also think it would be a good idea to first check that the school in question would accept NQT applications.
- Festival fever wonders how the first year of teaching is going for fellow forum members in "rough" schools (www.tes.co.ukroughschool). Sideshow gives hope to NQTs counting down the days until the end of term. "I did - several years ago. I felt like such a failure, but got through in the end. And the improvement was rapid after Christmas." Flissusher adds: "Keep trying strategies, following through and doing your best to enjoy any lessons that you can."
- Get behaviour advice at www.tes.co.ukbehaviour from our experienced teacher Tom Bennett. For advice on everything related to your induction year from teacher trainer James Williams go to www.tes.co.uknqtforum.