Persistent stalker

26th January 2001 at 00:00
Our school is greatly troubled by an individual who hangs about outside the school entrance and harasses our pupils. He sometimes comes on to school premises, in spite of repeated warnings to stay away. What can we do?

You can certainly, through the clerk to the governors or the local education authority, give him written instructions not to come on to the premises and, if he hen does, you can have him removed, if necessary by the police.

Outside the school is more difficult, because he is on the public highway. You should discuss the problem with the local police, who might be able at least to move him on, because he was causing an obstruction or a nuisance. If this is a very persistent problem, the law on stalking might be applicable.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today