Places to visit;History
* Rievaulx Abbey, Helmsley, North Yorkshire: 12th century monastic ruins. Free eight-page teacher's booklet. Videos available on free loan. School visit details: 0191-261 1585.
* Battle Abbey and site of the Battle of Hastings, Battle, East Sussex, where history changed in 1066. Teacher's handbook, video available on free loan. School visit details: 01732 778027.
* The Shrewsbury Quest, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Recreation of the medieval Benedictine monastery at Shrewbury Abbey. School visit details:01743 243324.
Wales: l Conwy and Caernarfon castles both date from the 1280s and were built by the French castle architect, Master James of St Georges.
* Owain Glyndwr Senate House, Machynlleth, Powys, where the first Welsh parliament opened in 1404. School visit details: 01654 702827.
* Historic Scotland has resources packs about medieval life at Stirling, Caerlaverock and Dirleton castles. Stirling has medieval kitchens and an exhibition on life in the royal palace. Caerlaverock is a fine example of a medieval fortress.
Further information call: The National Trust 0171-222 9251. English Heritage 0171-973 3000.Cadw (Wales) 01222 825111. Historic Scotland 0131-668 8600.