'Please, Boss, I want to work less'

4th April 2003 at 01:00
How to apply for for a job-share under the Employment Act 2002

* You must have been in your present job for 26 continuous weeks before applying in writing to change your work pattern. You may make only one application a year. Acceptance means a permanent change to your job.

* Within 28 days of receiving your request, your employer must arrange a meeting with you to discuss the application.

* Within 14 days of the meeting, your employer must write to you saying either Yes or No. If the answer is No, he or she must provide clear reasons and set out the appeal procedure.

* You have the right to appeal within 14 days of your employer's letter.

Within 14 days of that, the employer must meet you to discuss your appeal and within another 14 days give you his or her decision.

* As a last resort you can apply to take your case to Acas, the Government's conciliation service, or to an employment tribunal - not an easy option as there are strict criteria.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now