Point of no return

30th September 2005 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

I have just started my third year as an unqualified teacher. I have also changed schools. The finance officer has told me that I won't receive the same salary as last year when I was paid on point 2 of the unqualified teacher scale, but will return to point 1. Is this correct?

Until this September the finance officer would have been able to take this step. However, under a change in the rules governing pay and conditions, any incremental points due to unqualified teachers who are on contracts offered after September 1, 2005, are now permanent, whether the person remains in the same post or takes up a new one. Those paid on the unqualified teacher scale are also entitled to an increment in September if they have remained in the same post for more than a year. If you transfer to the qualified teacher scale you will do so at the next point on that scale above your current pay point, or higher if the relevant bodies consider it appropriate.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now