* Investigate the size of cities around the world. Plot their position on a world map. Record how their population has increased over the past 30 to 40 years. Show the changes using pie charts and graphs.
* List the cities that pupils have visited. What are their similarities and differences? What are the features of city life? Where could new cities be located in Britain? Why? What infrastructure would be needed?
* Design a questionnaire to find out how far parents and friends travel to work. Interview those making the longest journeys. Why do some travel so far?
* Look at local regeneration or development maps. What changes are being suggested? How will they affect those living nearby? Interview someone from the local authority planning department about their role and future developments.
* Design a town or city of the future.