Pupil trapped between warring parents

13th November 1998 at 00:00
Q We have a pupil whose parents are separated with no formalcustody arrangements. His mother, with whom he lives, wantshim to take part in a school trip overseas, but the father says he does not. What should we do?

A I have said many times that schools should avoid getting involved in matrimonial disputes. Rather than take sides in this matter, you should refer it back to the parents to make their minds up. If need be, the mother will have to seek a custody order through the courts or, at very least, seek a ruling on the question at issue. Until they have sorted themselves out, the school should not agree to include the pupil in the party.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now