Q amp

6th October 2000 at 01:00
Q I'm moving to a different part of the country; how do I find out details about the performance of schools in that area?

A There is now a great deal of information available to anyone interested in how schools are performing. Of course, it is historical in nature and usually presented in a manner that does not take account of where the school is located.

The Department for Education and Employment and Ofsted websites are good places to start and The TES jobs site now offers links from individual adverts.

Q Can I claim a relocation allowance if I have to move house to take up a new headship?

A In past recruitment crises, relocation allowances were a common form of incentive offered by LEAs as part of a recruitment package.

Over the last year they have made something of a comeback. It is always worth asking at interview whether one would be available. They have the added advantage that up to a certain level they may not be taxable, but it is worth checking your situation with your tax office.

Q I know that the Government has been talking about makin provision for sabbaticals for sometime in the future. Is there anything on offer at present?

A Getting paid time off from the classroom is still very difficult at present. However, there are some possibilities around.

For example, recently the Goldsmiths' Company has been advertising "Mid-Career Refreshment Grants" for primary and secondary teachers.

There are also opportunities in some subject areas, such as RE, that the Farmington Institute has advertised in the past.

Some Oxbridge colleges also offer short-term School Teacher Fellowships for secondary school teachers.

Q I am in my final year of teacher training and am keen to go abroad for a while afterwards. Will this affect my future job prospects when I return to the UK. For example, will I need to do any additional training?

A People interested in teaching in the UK who are returning or have been trained abroad, can contact the Teacher Training Association teacher information line on 01245 454 454 for more details on courses and qualifications available. Website: teach-tta.gov.uk

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now