Recognition abroad

17th September 2004 at 01:00
I am hoping to do a PGCE next year and want to spend some time abroad after passing my induction year. Will my UK PGCE be recognised in Europe?

The agreement on the transfer of labour within the countries of the EU means that your teaching qualification should be accepted by other countries within the union and the European Economic Area. The PGCE is an academic qualification that usually brings with it the right to apply for qualified teacher status - actual permission to teach. The EU Treaty doesn't work within regions of the host country, so Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales do not have to accept teachers from England, and vice versa. Elsewhere in Europe and the rest of the world, your qualifications may be recognised, but not accepted. Like teachers from these countries coming to the UK, you will have to undergo a course that matches their standards. This can range from a short conversion course to retraining completely. Such policies usually only apply to teaching within a state system, the private sector is free to set its own rules within the constraints set by visa and work permit regulations.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today