Register this

24th March 2006 at 00:00
However well prepared you are, there are bound to be problems in the first year of your teaching career. Whatever it is that's keeping you awake at night or sobbing on the school secretary's shoulder, our experts can lend a hand

Q: I'm working for a teaching agency covering maternity leave. I recently had a letter from the General Teaching Council for Wales informing me that I need to renew my membership. I thought the school in which you are employed pays on your behalf. I've covered this maternity leave since October and it finishes this month.

A: The Government has agreed to pay the basic cost of the registration fee to the GTC in England and Wales. As you are a supply teacher, you are probably paid on a daily rate that will incorporate an element for this fee. If you have a two-term contract, that will incorporate an element of funding.

Nevertheless, you still have to pay the cost yourself as the registration can only be done by you as the professional.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now