* The law relating to school reports is summarised at www.teachernet.gov.uk management atoz (search for "pupil reports").
* The QCA's Assessment and Reporting Arrangements booklets are sent annually to schools; they may also be downloaded from www.qca.org.ukages3-14 (under "Tests and tasks").
* A selection of case studies and examples can be found at www.teachernet.gov.uk casestudies by following the link "pupil reports", and at www.dfes.gov.ukcutting burdens by following the links "good practice" and "reporting to parents".
* Carn Software: www.carnsoftware.co.uk.
* Connetix www.connetix.co.uk.
* Chiltern Education Consultants: www.chilterneducation.co.uk
* There are dozens more report writing software programs.A selection can be found on the Becta website: www.becta.org. ukleaders (under "MIS software").
* Sue Cowley's How to Survive Your First Year in Teaching (Continuum Pounds 12.99) and The Guerilla Guide to Teaching (Continuum pound;14.99) have sections on how to write reports, as does The Newly Qualified Teacher's Handbook, by Elizabeth Holmes (RoutledgeFalmer pound;15.99).
* Could Do Better: school reports of the great and the good, edited by Catherine Hurley (Pocket Books pound;7.99), shows just how wrong teachers can sometimes be. Coming soon: Could Do EvenBetter.