19th November 2004 at 00:00
* The latest government guidance, Safeguarding Children in Education, replaces Circular 1095: Protecting Children from Abuse: the role of the education service. A copy can be downloaded from

* There is also a government booklet, What To Do If You're Worried a Child Is Being Abused, available free from DoH Publications, PO Box 777, London SE1 6XH. Tel: 08701 555 455.

* The National Network of Investigation and Referral Support Co-ordinators works with LEAs, independent schools and FE colleges to promote good practice in handling allegations against staff and awareness of the safeguarding agenda. See:

* The NSPCC ( can offer advice and training. It publishes Learning to Protect: a child protection resources pack for teacher training, pound;105 incl PP. The helpline offers support for those who have concerns about a child, tel: 0800 800 5000; email:

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now