Schools may need a licence to hold concerts and plays

20th December 2002 at 00:00
SCHOOLS could have to take out permanent entertainment licences if they want to hold more than five carol concerts, plays and music master-classes a year. Fears were expressed in the House of Lords that charging for such events or inviting members of the public to them could bring schools under proposed new licensing requirements. The Department of Culture, Media and Sport has not consulted the Department for Education and Skills about the impact of its Licensing Bill on schools. But a spokeswoman insisted schools would see little change, and hopefully some improvement, to entertainment licensing arrangements that already apply to them.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers

Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today