Secondary education 1993-97: a review of secondary schools in England;Briefing;Document of the week
* GCSE results: up from 35.6 to 43.1 per cent for five top grades, up from 83.6 to 88.4 per cent for five passes.
* Key stage 3 tests: two in five pupils fail to reach expected standards in English and maths.
* Accommodation: poor in a quarter of schools.
* Information technology: pupils' competence poor in two-fifths of schools.
* Standards: two-fifths of schools are consistently good.
* Leadership and management: good in three-quarters of schools.
* Serious weaknesses: one in ten schools.
* Failing schools: one in 14.
* Failing pupils: one in 14 leaves with no qualifications.