(Photograph) - A week in the life of City of Portsmouth Girls School City of Portsmouth Girls School
Strong GCSE results are only one reason why teachers at City Girls are bracing themselves to disappoint almost 100 hopeful entrants this month. These pictures of the lively activities the school runs for its 1,000 pupils show why the Portsmouth comprehensive is heavily oversubscribed. The inner-city school is proud of the range of activities it provides for its girls. Not only are sports and arts on offer - pupils are rehearsing for a production of 'My Fair Lady' at the end of term and preparing for a rock concert for city schools - but extra-curricular courses include Latin and GCSEBengali. The latter attracts white pupils as well as those from the naval city's small Bangladeshi community.
If your school would like to appear in Snapshots, fax 'Friday' on 0171 782 3200
Snaps by English teacher Angie Gardiner.
* Emma from Year 11 working on her GCSE textile project.
* Sharron in a Year 7 technology class.
* Rehearsal time for Amanda, Cara and Mary-Anne in Year 11 expressive arts.
* April from Year 7 making scones.
* Jayne Beason, the head's PA.
* Mandy, the lolllpop lady.
* Katie and Francesca of Year 10 playing volleyball.