* Publicise the competition with posters spelling out the rules.
* Secure the support of the languages and music departments and senior management.
* Set aside lesson time to model songwriting, with lots of input early on about patterns and chorus work.
* Use foreign songs and whole-class ideas when modelling the songwriting.
* Watch out for pupils cutting off verb endings to fit a song - it's fine as long as you explain it's slang and only allowed as artistic licence.
* Select one grammar point or topic to focus the songwriting.
* Boost confidence by allowing students to work in friendship groups.
* Set a limit of two lessons to create, write and perform songs.
* Add motivation with a rewards system.l Give students a say in choosing the winners.