State sector return

14th October 2005 at 01:00
I originally qualified in 1993 and taught for a year or two in a state school. During this period, I moved up a couple of spine points. However, for the past 10 years I have been teaching English in a number of private schools. Where on the pay scale would it be reasonable for me to be placed on any return to the state sector?

There are provisions for cases such as yours in the Teachers Pay and Conditions document. Had you last taught in a maintained school before 1993, it would be up to the employer to decide what salary to offer.

However, as you have had some service since then, there are assimilation safeguarding criteria. These take account of the fact that the pay scales have been through several major revisions since you last taught in the state sector. If you were on Point 2, when you left around 1995, you may still only be on the equivalent of M1 on the present scale. You can ask the school for extra discretionary points to cover your additional experience, but with no shortage of teachers of English across most of the country and budgets tight, don't be surprised if you receive a distinctly lukewarm response.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now