Subjects in Brief
- Scottish Borders' arts development team is calling on artists and cultural organisations to sign up to an online directory used by primary teachers and youth groups. Bridge Builders is a reference point for contacting musicians, storytellers, filmmakers and visual artists to set up arts projects.
Science amp; technology
- The effects of earthquakes and floods on the urban environment and the construction of vibrating toys with electrical circuits feature in hands- on workshops at this year's INEOS Science, Engineering and Technology fair. The event promotes science, engineering and technological subjects to P7 children from 53 local schools across Falkirk. The fair, at Grangemouth stadium, runs until March 15.
The right note
- ABC Creative Music, founded by jazz musicians Tom and Phil Bancroft, is launching an education website. Funded by Creative Scotland, the site has planning sheets linked to Curriculum for Excellence. A Gaelic version is being developed for the Western Isles.
- The Starcatchers International Symposium, 22-23 March at the Macrobert, Stirling, will examine the role of arts and creativity in early childhood development. Starcatchers has been running artist residencies across Scotland, and Strathclyde University has been conducting an action research study.
- A pack of Outdoor Learning Cards has been produced to promote active learning across the curriculum. Developed by the outdoor education adviser's panel, it was tested at a training event at Brora school last month.