App 'n' spaces
- An Edinburgh council website and free app for iPhone and Android urges people to get out into the city's outdoor spaces. It has information on the 141 parks and answers questions such as "how old is that tree?" and "when was this monument built?" www.edinburghoutdoors.org.uk
- The Crown Estate has announced #163;15,000 in funding for Clyde in the Classroom, a project which this year involves 80 schools across eight councils. Pupils in P5-7 monitor eggs as they develop into small trout fry, which are then released into the river. www.clyderiverfoundation.org
Provost on tour
- Glasgow's Lord Provost, Councillor Sadie Docherty, is visiting all 138 primary and special schools to promote the city to young people ahead of the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The tour will involve meeting some 38,000 pupils. The provost will explain her duties as First Citizen and talk about the games.
Focus on film
- Twig World, which produces short educational digital films on science, maths and geography, has launched a primary science CPD website, Tigtag! It includes interviews with coordinators, teachers and learners at one of the Tigtag schools, Garrowhill Primary, Glasgow, which says: "We really want to inspire children to take on science beyond this school ... and Tigtag has been absolutely fabulous."
Food in mind
- The British Nutrition Foundation is launching a healthy eating week (3-7 June) for nurseries and schools. The aim is to promote healthy diets, activity, better understanding of where food comes from and cooking. Free resources will include recipes, presentations, worksheets, stickers, posters, and whole-school activities.