Support system

20th January 2006 at 00:00
I want to further my career in education, but I don't want to follow the deputyhead route. I'd prefer to work in supporting schools and teachers.

How do I find such vacancies?

Most local authority posts are advertised in The TES. Often these posts are linked to specific funding and may be time limited. There is no specific preparation, but several years of successful teaching, leadership experience and a record of professional development are prerequisites. Many posts are recruited from local teachers through informal networks, so knowing who are the movers and shakers is helpful. With the role of local authorities diminishing further after the recent white paper, more of these posts may be in the private sector in the same way that inspections were privatised a decade ago. Once out of the classroom, you will lose the day-to-day contact with pupils and will be working mainly with adults: some teachers enjoy the change, others don't. Would you? You will also find yourself on a different pay and conditions scale, and you may no longer be eligible to remain in the Teachers' Pension Scheme.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today