1. Newport transporter bridge: an icon of the city's prosperity and industrial age.
2. Tredegar house: one of Wales's greatest mansion houses.
3. Newport's medieval ship: discovered during recent building of Newport's theatre and arts centre.
4. The Riverfront: Newport's new cultural jewel in the crown with a 493-seat theatre and arts centre.
5. Its university: plans to transform part of the eastern bank of the river Usk into a new campus for the city's university is helping rejuvenate the city.
6. Newport castle: gives a historic feel to what is essentially a modern city with new buildings.
7. It's history: site of the chartists' rising in the 19th century.
8. Officialdom: home to the Office for National Statistics, the Passport Office and the Patent Office.
9. Famous faces: former Big Brother contestant Helen Adams; Wales and West Ham player James Collins and actor Michael Sheen.
10. Hip hop: where Goldie Lookin Chain hail from, one of the UK's most happening bands (pictured right).