Concerns over suspensions
- Strathclyde Region will next week publish its findings on the number of suspensions from schools since corporal punishment was abolished last August. Dr Malcolm Green, education committee chairman, believes they have doubled. The Scottish Council for Civil Liberties stated its concern at the "escalation" in the numbers being suspended from schools, which amounted to the "removal of a child's right to education".
Faith, hope and improvement promised
- A legal obligation on education authorities to provide nursery education for children from three upwards, devolution of the eight universities to a tertiary education council, two years' entitlement to grant-aided education or training after the age of 16, and an obligation on regional councils to produce local plans aimed at bringing about uniform educational provision throughout the country. These will be central features of Labour Party policies for Scottish education if it comes into power.
Dispute over 0.1% sends pay claim to Acas
- The salary negotiations for Scottish teachers and lecturers are proving more intractable than normal this year, with the day school teachers having to call on the arbitration service Acas and the college lecturers threatening to withdraw permanently from the negotiating machinery unless they get a comparable offer to teachers.
The unknown schools
- The government is unable to say how many community schools there are in Scotland. In a Commons reply to Mrs Helen McElhone (Labour, Queen's Park), Mr Alex Fletcher, minister for education, said that the term "community school" had no statutory significance and the number of schools was not available.
Sport plays Cinderella role in Spain
- Increased interest in sport, lavishly represented on television and even covering the Oxbridge boat race, is putting pressure on the government to provide improved physical education in Spanish schools. A Madrid parents' association claims that their children, in a state primary, had no PT classes. Qualified gym masters are scarce on the state circuits.