* New diploma system available at four levels: entry, foundation, intermediate and advanced, from 2014.
* Diploma to incorporate all existing exams, including GCSEs, A-levels, vocational qualifications and apprenticeships.
* All diplomas to consist of compulsory "core" of functional literacy, numeracy and computer skills, an extended research or practical project and optional modules modelled on GCSEs, A-levels and vocational courses.
* Diplomas to be awarded on a credit basis, with pupils gaining points for passing courses.
* Pupils take diplomas when they are ready rather than at a set age
* All levels of diploma below advanced assessed mainly by teachers.
* Both diploma and courses within it to be graded.
* Advanced Extension Awards to be incorporated into advanced diplomas, with A+ and A++ grades to distinguish between the most able.
* "Wider activities" such as sport, arts, community work recognised in the diploma.
* Electronic transcripts, setting out details of students' achievements in all courses, to be made available.
* Vocational programmes to be improved and students given better guidance on future options.