The bad news
* 10,000 pupils go "missing" from school at 15.
* Flexible education at KS4 in schools and alternative centres is hindered bycash and staffing problems.
* A fifth of teaching in pupil referral units is unsatisfactory and management is unsatisfactory in a quarter.
* 30 per cent of teaching in alternative centres is unsatisfactory and good leadership rare.
The good news
* Most secondaries are increasing the number of pupils succeeding at KS4, particularly those with a more flexible approach to the curriculum.
* Permanent exclusions fell in four out of five schools which offered a flexible curriculum.
* Units for pregnant pupils and young mothers generally offered a good education.