College merger in the pipeline
- A merger of Motherwell and Cumbernauld colleges in Lanarkshire is being mooted, TESS understands. The colleges had agreed a four-way federation with South Lanarkshire and Coatbridge colleges, but it is believed two-way merger discussions have taken place. This follows the publication of the Post-16 Education (Scotland) Bill, which set out the government's plans for the FE sector.
New inquiry into teen pregnancy
- An inquiry into teenage pregnancy has been launched by the Scottish Parliament's health and sport committee. The inquiry will ask if action taken in Scotland - which has one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in western Europe - is sufficient to bring about reductions. It will also investigate what support is available for those most at risk of teenage pregnancy or who have a baby when they are very young. Full details: bit.lyTWsxTV
Support for Scots to study abroad
- Financial support will be offered to Scottish students studying at EU universities next year, education secretary Michael Russell announced this week. This will be the first time students studying in Europe will be entitled to the same bursary and loan support as students attending university in Scotland. The support, to be offered to around 250 young people who will study in the EU in 2014-15, will be on a pilot basis. Full details: bit.lyfMXpWz
Boost for Gaelic announced
- An additional #163;4 million to support Gaelic and improve Gaelic schools in Scotland has been announced by the government. Sabhal Mor Ostaig Gaelic College has been awarded #163;3 million to secure a long-term future for the college and surrounding area. #163;1 million will be available for bids from local authorities through the Gaelic Schools Capital Fund to support new or expanded Gaelic-medium education.
Celebrations of sporting success
- Scottish businessman Sir Tom Hunter visited pupils and teachers at Drumchapel High in Glasgow earlier this week to hear about their recent sports successes. The school's PE teacher, Jim Smart, invited his old school friend along to celebrate with the young people who have notched up a number of sporting awards recently. These include their table tennis team and gymnastics squad triumphing at the Glasgow Youth Games and the school's dance group winning the Glasgow Schools Dance Championships.