What ofsted will be looking for
Their examination of leadership and management will be split into three areas:
School governance How well do the governors:
* shape the vision and direction of the school;
* ensure the school fulfils its statutory duties, including the promotion of inclusive policies on special needs and equality in race, disability and sex;
* have a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the school challenge and support the senior management team.
School leadershipHow well especially do the headteacher, senior management team and other leaders do the following?
* have a clear vision, a sense of purpose and high aspirations with a relentless focus on pupils' achievement;
* plan strategically to reflect and promote the school's goals;
* inspire, motivate and influence staff and pupils;
* create effective teams;
* offer knowledgeable and innovative leadership of teaching and the curriculum;
* have a commitment to an equitable and inclusive school in which each individual matters and provide good role models for other staff and pupils.
School management How much evidence is there of:
* rigorous self-evaluation;
* monitoring of performance data, review and appropriate action;
* performance management review of staff, including support staff, followed by effective improvement;
* commitment to staff development shown in induction, continuing professional development strategies and, where possible, initial teacher training;
* well-managed workload, and staff recruitment and retention;
* deployment of support staff to make teachers more effective;
* management of finance to achieve educational priorities;
* principles of best value.