* Write down what happened as soon as possible, including the names of any witnesses. Your memory could play tricks on you later.
* Keep your own counsel. Talking to colleagues and pupils about an incident could give the impression that you are trying to cover up what really happened.
* Headteachers will often b sympathetic and can be a useful source of information and support.
* Contact your union (or a lawyer if you are not a union member) for advice and support at an early stage.
* Co-operate fully with any investigation. Remember, you are allowed a third party presence at meetings with head or governors.