What's in the Education Secretary's in-tray?
* Safe passage of the Education and Inspections Bill, which will pave the way for a new generation of semi-independent trust schools, through Parliament
* Drafting a green paper on the education of children in care, which Mr Johnson has already pledged will tackle the "scandalous" underachievement of vulnerable children
* Continuing reform of the curriculum, including the creation of a new A-level gold standard, the progress of specialised diplomas for 14-19 year olds and a review of key stage 3
* A further push on academies to meet the Government's target of creating 200 of the independent state schools by 2010
* Tacking the alarming shortage of heads, described by unions as one of the biggest headaches facing the education system