Why penalise teachers who work in poor areas, Ofsted?

3rd July 2009 at 01:00

What worries me most about the figures for disadvantage cited in The TES editorial is the 70 per cent who do not achieve the required qualifications ("No prizes for popularity but Ofsted has a point", June 26).

A recent government report called Improving Opportunity, Strengthening Society, pointed out that in 2007 17 per cent of white pupils on free school meals achieved five A*-C grades at GCSE including English and maths. So what of the other 83 per cent? Does anyone care?

Many will face a life of deprivation, have children who become the future underachievers and the cycle will go on. Given that literacy and numeracy are the most popular subjects in our prisons, it should not surprise us that many inmates are the same people who were failed by the education system. It is time we developed a properly resourced "cradle to grave" education strategy that would give people the subsequent chance to make up for the early failures of the system.

Karamat Iqbal, Consultant, Forward Partnership, Birmingham.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now