Working beyond 65

24th June 2005 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

I am a Canadian with dual nationality. I want to teach here for two years from the autumn. I have registered with the General Teaching Council.

However, I am already over 65. I would be happy to accept a temporary position.

Contact schools direct or register with a supply agency. Although 65 is the normal retirement age, some teachers do work longer, often part-time. You would need to convince a school that the benefits you bring outweigh any nervousness they might have about employing someone unfamiliar with the national curriculum. The job market is now much healthier for employers than at any time in the past decade, so schools can be more selective about who they want to appoint. There are still some areas like the Highlands and Islands where the remoteness does not always attract large numbers of teachers; but there are few jobs on offer in these areas.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today