Working week

10th March 2006 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

Call of Africa. I am a GTP trainee due to qualify this summer. My partner is South African and is required to return there this September. I am concerned that although I have qualified teacher status, I will not have done my NQT year, and this will limit me on my return to the UK. I've heard I must do my induction within five years of qualifying, but I've also been told that no such deadline exists for practising teachers, and that it is only meant for people who take on a different career. Also, what determines my pay scale on my return to this country?

You do not say what subject or level you are training to teach. Supply and demand play a large part in determining how difficult it would be for you to find a teaching post and start your induction year on your return, if you left after training because of family reasons. You need to complete the induction process within the specified time. However, that is less important than finding a teaching post. If you qualify again in South Africa, you might be eligible for consideration under the overseas trained teacher scheme on your return. Work as a teacher if you can, since the experience will add weight to you CV and may help persuade a school to employ you. The independent sector doesn't concern itself with whether you have completed the induction year. Any necessary retraining would take into account your teaching experience, assuming the rules are as they are at present when you returned. As for pay, unless a school felt obliging, you'd re-start at the bottom of the scale and progress by annual increments.

There is no requirement to increase your pay for overseas experience.

Australian links I've heard of an exchange scheme between schools in Scotland and Australia.

Can you please provide any details and contact information?

I can't find any specific exchange between Australia and Scotland. However, look at the link from the GTC Scotland to the British Council site:

Check out the following Australian sites, and I'm sure further internet searches will uncover additional links. EdNA online teacher exchange programmes:,14774 For information about teaching in Australia, visit this resource, developed by the Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training: Graduate studies in Australia, for students from overseas, EdNA online international students state territory services: www.edna.du.auednabrowse0,16419 If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now