1. What is a phoneme?
2. How many phonemes are there?
3. How many consonant phonemes are there?
4. Pronounce all the consonant phonemes.
5. How many vowel phonemes are there?
6. Pronounce all the vowel phonemes.
7. What is a grapheme?
8. What is a graph?
9. What is a digraph?
10. What is a trigraph?
Scoring: 1. A speech sound. 2. Forty-four. 3. Twenty-four. 4. One mark for each consonant phoneme that is correctly pronounced. 5. Twenty. 6. One mark for each vowel phoneme that is correctly pronounced. 7. A spelling choice. 8. One letter that represents one phoneme. 9. Two letters that represent one phoneme. 10. Three letters that represent one phoneme.
Grading: A. 52Satisfactory B. 51Poor C. 50 or lessVery Poor.
Inspectors graded as B or C should be referred to the chief inspector for schools for retraining or the sack.
11A Kilmoney Park, Chester