* If possible, obtain a larger screen than the conventional desktop monitor so that you can work with small groups.
* Find a clear unfussy program that caneasily be changed to grow with a child.
* Will it talk so that the sound and the appearance of the word are weldedtogether?
* Can you link the appearance of the word with a graphic of what the word represents?
* Is it multimedia?
* Can it be configured to work at different levels?
* Can you adjust fonts (typefaces)?
* Can you modify the pronunciation?
* Are there word banks?
Above all, it has to be remembered that the concentration is on the literacy rather than the ICT. There is much that can be achieved with the simplest techniques withoutdeveloping too many new avenues.