What am I worth?

John Howson

Your job and career questions answered

I have a certificate in education from the University of Zimbabwe, where I taught for 10 years. I found it hard to find a teaching job in the UK without a degree. I decided to do a BA degree with qualified teacher status in the UK. Will my overseas experience count in determining my pay when l complete my training?

As a newly qualified teacher, you would normally start at the bottom of the main pay scale. However, if you have been paid more as an unqualified teacher, expect to have that service recognised in your pay. Whether your service in Zimbabwe is recognised will be at the school's discretion. Much may depend on your skills. As you have found it difficult to find work, you may find that you are offered the basic starting pay when you qualify.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email susan.young@tes.co.uk

Register to continue reading for free

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you

John Howson

Latest stories

Are you ready to be a school leader?

In this podcast, three educational leadership experts look at how to tell you're ready to lead - and how you can develop your skills
Tes Reporter 1 Dec 2021