Is your hair getting a little greyer? Has the child who was a clean-shaven young pup at the start of September turned into a dishevelled mess with a beard? It can mean only one thing: you are about to emerge from the first stint of the year and you can almost taste the freedom of the half-term break.
Here are a few tell-tale signs that half-term is just around the corner…
- You have a cold and a hacking cough that you’re pretty sure is worse than anyone else’s in the staffroom. Scrap that: in the history of the world.
- But, despite the death rattle, you’re still in school.
- You are mainlining Lemsip.
- You’ve had an email about the Nativity play/Christmas party.
- The annual news story appears about parents being fined for taking their kids on holiday during term time.
- You suggest a half-term holiday (for you) and find that literally every hotel is full. Of teachers.
- You laugh, madly, at the idea of having time to take a holiday during half-term.
- You realise you’ve developed a tolerance to Lemsip Max.
- You look forward to the days during half-term when you can finally plan some lessons.
- You quietly weep that this is what you are looking forward to.
- You highlight your calendar with “Game of Thrones days”.
- Your highlighter has run dry.
- Friday's "half-day" is the same length as any other day.
- You say farewells to colleagues, even though you will see them at half-term club. In school.
- As you walk out of the school gates, your impossibly awful cold suddenly gets a thousand times worse.
- You reach for a double-shot of Night Nurse.