Skip to main content

Working beyond 65

Your job and career questions answered

I am a Canadian with dual nationality. I want to teach here for two years from the autumn. I have registered with the General Teaching Council.

However, I am already over 65. I would be happy to accept a temporary position.

Contact schools direct or register with a supply agency. Although 65 is the normal retirement age, some teachers do work longer, often part-time. You would need to convince a school that the benefits you bring outweigh any nervousness they might have about employing someone unfamiliar with the national curriculum. The job market is now much healthier for employers than at any time in the past decade, so schools can be more selective about who they want to appoint. There are still some areas like the Highlands and Islands where the remoteness does not always attract large numbers of teachers; but there are few jobs on offer in these areas.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you